About the Department
One of the founding departments of St. Xavier's University in 2017, the Mass Communication department is the cornerstone of the Faculty of Arts and Social Studies. Faculty members of this department are well versed with both theoretical and practical teaching and training. The department is engaged in imparting training in mass communication theories and skills. The department has also been conducting media research of societal importance in its PhD programme from 2019. The Department of Mass Communication is equipped with state-of- the-art production studio. The studio is equipped with an advanced multi-camera set-up and high-tech sound lab and outdoor recording equipment. The postproduction lab is developed with High end mac machines and updated software. Classroom work is supplemented by internships, projects, presentations, research and field works. Each curriculum is designed to produce specialists who can design effective communication content and apply a variety of problem-solving techniques to achieve a broad range of real-world goals. The Department offers three years (six semesters) BA programme, two years (four semesters) MA programme with two specializations (Marketing Communication and Digital video production) and Ph.D. programme in Mass Communication.
The department publishes an annual magazine named "Xcelsior".
Vision and Mission Statements
- Inspired by the Ignatius charism of forming men and women for others, the Department of Mass Communication strives its level best to offer the young aspiring media professionals an interdisciplinary and dynamic milieu where they can develop comprehensive and critical awareness of diverse communication and media environments.
- To shape the future of news and media of the country as a whole.
- To promote and strive for developing a strong and independent free press.
- To provide fundamental journalistic values of accuracy, accountability and fairness among the budding journalists.
- To acknowledge and train students regarding the uses of digital and multimedia technologies in dynamic storytelling.
- To prepare students for success in modern exciting and innovative journalism landscape through hands on training and learning skills.
- To provide excellence in education on fundamental concepts, values, scopes and skills in journalism and mass communication.
- To generate awareness and understanding of ethical and legal implications of media studies.
- To imbibe social responsibility in preparing students for leadership rules in journalism.
- To encourage research related activities concerning diversified fields of media.
- To keep regular interaction with media industry and professional associations who understand as well apprehend the contemporary trends in media education and carry out adaptation of the same.
- To keep a vigil on feedback and guidance of
students, parents and the alumni for overall
improvement of the department.